View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
From my trusty ol' American Heritage dictionary: "A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes or values of a person or group."
About the only thing in common among polyfolk is the insistence on being forthright and honest with all partners. As that's also a trait shared by many monofolk, it's not really something on which to hang a "lifestyle."

Quote:
I often do hear people refer to poly as a "lovestyle," though. What do you think of that term? It kinda bugs me, too.
I don't find that term accurate or useful, either. Polyfolk don't love any differently than monofolk--we just allow for loving more than one romantic partner at a time.

I suspect that the urge for people to try to set off polyamory as something substantively different than mono romance works to the detriment of polyfolk. Claiming poly is a lifestyle or lovestyle cheapens poly in much the same way that saying homosexuality is merely a lifestyle or lovestyle, something that can be readily discarded.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.