View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Sorry MG, I don't quite follow. I don't think there's a way to compromise in a situation where one partner says, "It's them or me."

For us, I told Indigo from the get go that I wanted a non-monogamous relationship. If he were to change his mind, that would be the end of the relationship. Period. It would suck.

I've been in enough mono relationships to know that I am not a monogamous person. I will either cheat, or break up with the person to pursue other interests. The heartache of leaving a love who forces me to choose or says they can't be with me if I'm poly is nothing compared to the heartache I know I will eventually inflict on them if I allow myself to try and be something I'm not.
I don't disagree. I think vetoes within the relationship are actually anti-relationship because it negates the ability to talk it through and come up with a satisfactory solution for both. Veto itself is anti-compromise because it is finite and non-negotiable, "the answer is no, and don't ask again". Now what you're talking about is completely different. Mono/poly acceptance goes beyond the realm of veto power. And obviously if there is no relationship because mono does not accept poly then the idea of a veto is moot altogether. Follow? Am I rambling? Disregard if I am.