View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the link! I haven't got time to look at it just now, but am looking forward to it. Do you just list American media? I word-searched "polyamory" on The Guardian's web-site. (The Guardian is one of the UK's most respected liberal / left of centre newspapers, and its web-site is extensively read all over the world.) There were only 16 articles in all, from the first in 2003, 2 or 3 only mention it in passing, but the rest treat it rather decently.

A lot of it is: "There's this new thing going on over the water in the USA...", there are interviews with proponents. One article mentioned that "there are many more support groups for polys in the USA than in the UK. But that might be because the British don't make such a big deal of it. People in Britain aren't as scared about the neighbours' possible reaction (the neighbours wouldn't really mind), so support groups aren't as necessary. People just get on with their polyamorous lives." (This isn't a real quote: I'm paraphrasing from memory.)

But here's a cut+paste sample from the lists page:

Free love gets a fit of the wibbles
The Guardian, 4 Apr 2005
Steven Alexander

An old hippy ideal has been given an update for the consumer generation in the latest social phenomenon to cross the Atlantic to Britain.

…An old hippy ideal has been given an update for the consumer generation in the latest social phenomenon to cross the Atlantic to Britain.Polyamory is free love with strings attached. Although practitioners have numerous partners…
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson