View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Anyhow, I don't think of the Dharma as religion, per se. It's fine if anyone wants to do so, but it's not how I see it. I see it as a wisdom tradition, as medicine, as a way of life. As such, it evolves over time and is adapted to changing culture/s.
I think most 'successful' (I define success here to mean they have survived the death of their founder and gain new members either through birth or conversion) religions need to adapt and change to their environments. I have been obsessed with originality, thinking that for example if I could somehow deduct what Jesus actually said from the New Testament hagiography I would find 'real Christianity', which is absolute bull of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
By the way, it seems that most of Tibetan Buddhism / -ists are quite unwelcoming toward "homosexuality". It's a cultural thing, not a "religious" one. Tibetans are actually pretty conservative, generally.
Absolutely. More to the point of us projecting our own needs and values on to a religion. I've read that 'bottoms' were ostracized in Indian sanghas but in China and Japan monks actively chased after young novices. So yes, people mold religion to fit their cultural beliefs (in this case cultural ideas of acceptable standards of 'manhood'), if we can even speak of the two as separate entities.