View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
AND it's really more expected for a young man in his early 20s to have more than one romantic interest; most older folks (and I speak as someone over twice your age) wouldn't really question that for someone who is really just at a point in life where relationships are a new aspect of life. In fact, I would think it more odd to see someone "settle down" that young. If it were you who came home and said you had two boyfriends, that might be met with a somewhat different attitude, as parents are usually more protective of their daughters.
What I find extremely funny is that many people would understand if I was having an affair with a married man, because 'things like that happen', but when I tell them that his wife has been told and we are all trying to adjust they get very defensive! And I'm not talking about random people here, but good friends of mine. I've been accused of being more selfish for wanting to let his wife know than if I were to just carry on the relationship in secret, especially after I made it clear that I don't want the two of them to break up.

Again, it's funny that responsible non-monogamy is something that is such an alien concept to so many people that they would be more accepting of outright cheating if it was 'for love'.