Thread: Breastfeeding
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Yes, I stand corrected. As I said, I first heard of that study over 10 years ago (if it is the same study). I see it was done in 1985. Is it possible no further studies were done in the 25 years since?

I also slogged through those findings yesterday. So, it's an immune response thing, not a DNA thing.

Oddly I first joined La Leche League in 1985. In the years since I have worked with dozens of mothers who did not breastfeed their first child (or only did for a day or 2), because of lack of education or support, but went on to nurse subsequent children for much longer. It would be easy to find families like that for more research.

Anyway, my first point was that if babies are breastfed in a tribal situation by women other than their biological mother, they will then become more like those other women, immunologically at least (if not genetically)... The implications are enormous if you think about it.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37