Thread: Monogamy...huh?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM

According to Sex at Dawn, bonobos do not practice infanticide. Offspring are cared for by the tribe, and even nursed by multiple "mothers." Knowing what I do about lactation, this means the infant/toddler bonobo drinks in the DNA from several mothers, thereby, to an extent, actually becoming biologically the child of more than one mother!

It seems to me the male bonobos are far too busy chillin and fuckin to worry about whose kid is whose.

(God, I wish I was a bonobo...)

We all know data collected from animals in captivity is not as valuable as that from wild animals in their natural habitat. My understanding is that there has been quite a bit of research done on bonobos in the wild, thought it is very difficult because of their remote location in a politically volatile country (Rep of Congo/Zaire).
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. --Shaw

me: Mags, female, pansexual, 59, loving and living with
miss pixi, female, pansexual, 37