View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciselove View Post
Is that swinging or just being single and having sexual intercourse that people accept? I thought swinging is when you have a partner and there is an agreement one or both can have sex with others? And in this scenario while many people are aware this exists thanks to decades of culture, it's generally not well accepted by people. At least in my neck of the woods.
Well, swingers' clubs get write-ups in pretty all the NYC-centric magazines and blogs (and the established ones like New York Magazine and The New Yorker as well as the downtown hipster ones) and most people here know that swinging's mostly about couples going to clubs and swinger parties for recreational sex. Swinger Parties are big in NYC! You have to get an invitation and submit an application before you are told where it will be held. And Swinger Meetups are popular, too (meetup.com). And I have met several swingers in normal everyday situations. It's just been around longer and is more familiar. But the thought of love being in the equation seems to either scare or confuse people. Most people seem to think it's an either/or choice between swinging and monogamy - where the heck does polyamory fit in? Either that or they expect you to be an old hippie type into food co÷ps and communes.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 03-27-2011 at 03:47 AM.