View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiverMartin View Post
Fascinating! And that must also be very challenging!

If you're a linguist, as you say you are, then you're steeped in a scientific/rationalistic world view, most likely. I've been steeped in that, but have also had many experiences which shake the same world view, or suggest at least a need for further research or paradigm shifting....

I've had both "psychic" experiences of knowing facts about folks that could not be known by "ordinary" means and ... simply EXTREME empathic connection of the sort you spoke of -- as in feeling other people's somatic experience in my own body..., etc. ... We know that we're bioelectromagnetic creatures -- all of us animals ..., but how that works in relation to "psychic" and empathic connection seems to be little understood.... What do you think?
I think the psychic experiences you mention are simply an extension of the electromagnetic properties of the Universe. If every atom is connected to every other atom through atoms, then I don't see why it would be impossible for information to be transferred from one place to another. I'm connected to you through atoms, and your thoughts are made up of the energy in those atoms, so why can't that energy wave travel? The answer, in my opinion, is that it can.

I have had other empathetic experiences well. I empathized with a friend of mine during one of her manic episodes (she has bipolar disorder). She was hearing voices and I could hear the same voices. We had a detailed conversation about the voices that were going on in her head, commenting how their voices sound and what they're saying.

Even though I'm a linguist, I wouldn't say I'm steeped in the rationalistic/scientific view. The way I see it is that psychic abilities aren't mystical or supernatural, they are part of nature. They are just properties of the Universe like gravity, the Strong Force, and the 4 dimensions we know of in the physical world. I think that we are either limited in what we know or our perceptions create a frame that leads us to the a dualistic view -- having physical phenomena and then metaphysical phenomena. Rather than having the physical and the metaphysical, the "metaphysical" phenomena ARE physical phenomena that we either haven't come to understand yet, or that we understand within a frame created by our senses.

I am a strong believer in this because I have always been able to feel the presence of people in a room without seeing them or hearing them. I have felt sensations through other people, so the only conclusion I can come to is that I'm making use of some of the physical properties that are still denied by most people in the scientific world.

nim