View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
What is the first ground rule for getting involved with ANYONE, on romantic or friendship basis? Anyone?

Be yourself as you truly are, not trying to guess what your prospective partner wants you to be and then trying to act like it.
Ding! Ding! DING! You are absolutely right! I think that too often people try to be what their partner wants them to be (or what they think their partner wants them to be?) and being someone other than yourself cannot ever be sustained for long. More to the point, not being YOU is depriving that person of really loving you.

I definitely understand though. I have almost made an art form of doing this ("being" what my partners want). I am extremely good at anticipating other people's needs and wants and usually try to conform to them unconsciously. It is something about myself that I have been working on for a long time and still work on. When you do this for too long it becomes hard for even you to know what you want or who you are. Not good for obvious reasons. It makes me a great gift giver though (and I bet you are, too, BlackUnicorn)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
For now, I'm going to be just too much myself. That will either kick-start this relationship, or send it all to hell. But I am too tired to tiptoe around anyone right now.
I don't think you can be "too" much yourself at all. From what I can see, you seem like a wonderful person who is perfect just the way you are. Be yourself and if they don't like it, forget them!