View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
I'm one of those hyper-logical sorts, though in recent years I've learned to become more compassionate and to have greater empathy for others.

I was a bit put off by the gender stereotyping in this thread, but then realized that I've always had more male friends than female and have been often told that I think like a man.

Interestingly, learning to think more like a woman has greatly increased my satisfaction in my relationships and my ability to relate to others. I will not, however, become irrational and self-destructive because of my emotions. I accept them, and those of others, as legitimate and important and I know they cannot be safely ignored, but I will not be ruled by them.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of gender stereotyping myself but I do think that our culture does line these things up next to each other. The masculine tends to emphasize competitiveness and not showing weakness, ie survival. While we tend to associate nuturing and cooperation with the feminine. A lot of feminist theory looks at how the world is structured in a 'masculine' way. For instance in political science, there's a feminist theorist who talks about acknowledged how gendered our intellectual view of the subject actually is and considering how it looks from the feminist perspective. J Ann. Tickner I belive.