View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Default .....can't think of a witty title

Not really sure how to start....so I'll go with the basics. I found this site while just generally looking around. (Google's a wonderful thing.) I'm a male university student in my early twenties, living in southern Ontario. (Canada, of course.) I first started thinking about polyamory a couple of years ago, and it took some time to develop from there.

In my case polyamory basically came down to two things: First, I've never met one single person who could be everything I was looking for in a relationship, and never felt I could be everything someone else needed. Second, I've never really understood why loving one person should mean you're not capable of loving someone else, and the idea of having to choose between two people I have romantic feelings for is generally kind of repulsive to me.

My first poly experience failed spectacularly for several reasons, but *did* entirely confirm for me that a poly relationship is what I'm looking for. (The poly aspects (jealousy, stuff like that) of the relationship weren't what made it a failure, it was just the normal relationship stuff.) Being in a poly relationship filled the gaps I'd always felt were there in previous relationships, which was wonderful.

I identify as bi/pansexual, though I don't have a lot of experience with men yet. (Much like being poly, it's something that I've grown into and I haven't had much of a chance to explore that aspect of myself so far.)

Because this is something I've come to fairly young it hasn't been as huge an adjustment for me as I've seen for some people. I know there's a lot that I can learn here about how to make poly relationships work, starting/maintaining them and the pitfalls to avoid. Being poly isn't something that's widely accepted, and peoplel tend to be quick to judge so it'll be nice to know some more like-minded people.

Sorry for being long-winded, it's kind of my nature and fast touch-typing doesn't help any!

Cyren