Originally Posted by nycindie
When are you coming to NYC? Send me a private message when you have dates. We can have a get-together!
Will do !!
Originally Posted by Charlie
1) The system of paved interstate highways in the U.S.A. is a modern marvel. The prefix U.S. stands for Unified System. All odd numbered roads run north/south, and all even numbered roads run east/west. For instance,
U.S. Interstate 80 runs from the east coast to the west coast, while
U.S. Interstate 75 runs from the tip of Michigan (north) to the tip of Florida (south). The phenomenon known as "franchise landscape" has developed along the major interstate roads. There is a McDonald's restaurant and a Walmart store at every exit ramp it seems. This is the plastic packaging of our nation. Feel free to ramble down some dirt roads; you will be safe, I assure you.
2) This country is enormous. The State and National Parks are public lands and camping is encouraged for a minimal fee. As there has been an increase (infestation) in the population of bedbugs (I'm not kidding) in hotels and motels throughout New England (New York) and the Midwest (Ohio), I suggest you consider your options for lodging. Bedbugs love to hitch rides in luggage, clothing, and personal effects and are next to impossible to kill.
3) The West is bigger than you can imagine. Go to the Grand Canyon. The deserts of New Mexico and Arizona are spectacular. Denver, Colorado is one of the kindest big cities I have ever had the pleasure of, with mountain lakes and rivers that are, well, majestic. The South is covered in kudzu and sausage gravy, and yes, Southern hospitality is very real.
4) Racism and small mindedness are unfortunate aspects of any culture. This one is no different. Some places are worse than others. Keep your eyes open and your ears peeled. Travel smart and with respect, not fear, and you will be just fine.
That's awesome, thanks Charlie..
1. Such a simple piece of information regarding road numbering that I did not know, and will make my travels easier !!
2. mmm...bugs, we have our fair share too !
3. I wish I had more time, the more I learn, the more I want to see !
I dream of deserts
The excitement is becoming unbearable...
4. Agreed, we have more than our fair share of racism and small mindedness here.
Thanks all for the tips and welcome advice