Thread: Mirror Mirror
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayerweather View Post
Anyone else have ways of dealing with judgements or examples of things to do in these situations?
I deal with these situations by not creating them. I have never made any big "coming out" announcements. Nor do I make any effort to conceal my polyamory. I simply live my life, and do my best to walk my own authentic path.

When someone asks me a question about my personal romantic life, I decide whether to answer it using the same criteria as if they had asked any other very personal question. (i.e. What do you weigh? Why don't you have children? Who did you vote for?) If I think the motivation behind the question is harmless, I answer it simply and directly, and am prepared to have a frank and open discussion about it. If I think the asker is less benignly motivated (by say, nosiness or malice) I deflect the question using Miss Manners' techniques. (Simply responding "Why do you ask?" is enough flummox many or most nosy nellies, especially when delivered with just the right lift of the eyebrows. Pressed further, I might say something along the lines of "I don't discuss such personal topics with just anyone.")

But I don't generally make my romantic life a topic of conversation.