View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Aloneness

"Aloneness is a state of being, whereas loneliness is a state of feeling. It's like the difference between being broke and being poor." - Townes Van Zandt

I am always wary of pontification, narcissism, and arrogance. Sometimes it happens anyway, no matter how much humble pie I eat for dinner.

And I love pie.

There are times when I am reminded of an observation made by a very calm and stoic mentor from my youth. He said this:

"You have to be just arrogant enough to know that you are good, and good enough to be a little arrogant."

Know what you're good at. Own what you are not. And then, get to work.

I am good at being alone. Always have been. Emotional and physical self-sufficiency was instilled in me by both Nature and Nurture, and later, by Empathy and Experience. Likewise, I was born with and encouraged to pursue artistic passions, wandering through my mind, looking for ideas to manifest and emotions to outlet. By and large, this has been a blessing in my life, enabling me to make something out of nothing, to do with what I have, and learn how to fit my own skin.

The down side to being a loner is that, while it has kept me from developing co-dependent relationships, it has also provided me a place, physically and emotionally, to exist isolated from those who would have me be closer. It has always been a struggle for me to balance the inter-personal with the inner person.

What I am trying to say is this:

I am not good at trimming the sails on deck when the ship gets to rocking. Oh, I'm still on board, but you're likely to find me below-deck, carving a new teak figurehead for the bowsprit, or knotting a hammock for a shipmate.

Okay then, enough is enough, I'm putting down my tinkering and coming up topside to see what real work needs doing...

Anchors away.