Originally Posted by redpepper
It's weird that "strengthening the bond between spouses" thing. What is that all about anyway? how does that work? Why does it work?
I suspect there are many, many facets involved. I can identify some of the facets, but expect there are some I never thought about.
Love-producing joy (and vice versa)...
(1) resulting from the mutual realization that our explorations into other loves won't be taken as -- and is not -- a diminishment of love between us.
(2) resulting from the mutual knowledge that we are loved, supported, and free in being and exploring ourselves and others.
(3) in mutually discovering that love is not a box with a lid on it, nor a sort of open air prison.
(4) in mutually knowing that we don't have to choose between life as a continuing adventure or life as the comfort of the established and familiar.
(5) in the mutual knowledge that possessive jealousy isn't an indicator of genuine love, and can be happily dispensed with.
I could go on and on, but I'd rather read other folks' "facets".