Thread: America
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella123456 View Post
Perceptions Australians hold about England are of course, diverse. Older Australians tend to cling a little to the "mother country" concept and feel our relationship with England adds respectablity to our nation. The royal family are followed and adored by many.

I think some Australians feel our relationship with England links us to a colonial power...even though colonialism is outdated. We are part of the commonwealth - So many Australians have a deeply respectful view of England, and English people, tending to think that we're little naughty kids (convicts!) and England is the sensible and guiding parent.

Younger Australians tend to be a little bit more rebellious, like little kids "Hey, we're grown ups now...we can do it ourself !!"

And they is a republican movement that makes a little bit of noise every now and again.

And then of course - there's the cricket shhhushhh...

But a very general stereotype here would be that the english are sensible, perhaps better behaved that us, perhaps a little pretentious and that probably stems from the fact this country started as a penal colony

...So, potentially we have some inferiority complexes to work through
I've heard the same from Canada about the royal family actually. You know what? You guys can have them. =P They are no use to us anymore! They actually had the cheek, not long ago, to complain they were becoming poor. =P Just split them up between the harsh desert outback and arctic north of Canada. =P

I hear a lot of the same here in England about Australia too. A lot of English really do seem pretentious about Australia starting out as where the convicts were sent. But I've not met many people I didn't like over there. The few I didn't get along with, I would exactly say seemed like escaped mental patients either. =P

Any normal Englishmen would be all over cricket, but I just can't stand the sport. =P I think it is the single most talked about thing linking England to Australia though.

I find with the US, they see the whole of the UK as England. Which pisses off the English quite a lot. Including myself. =P I just cannot take people seriously who cannot understand the difference, even after I have explained it to them. =P
=]