Thread: America
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 AM

What I love-love-love about living and working in NYC is meeting people from so many places, some I hadn't even heard of before I met them. They come to NYC from everywhere. I've been to a few far-away parts of the world, the farthest from home having been beautiful New Zealand, but I can walk down my street and within a two-block radius, literally, I am able to converse with someone originally from Nepal, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Guyana, Mongolia, Finland, Wales, Turkey, Malta...

Still, I have so much to learn about the world and what is going on. I think a lot of Americans are so focused on their own lives -- and we are a nation that highly values individuality, so we tend to not look up and around us often enough. It's like on the cartoon King of the Hill, when everyone always calls Hank Hill's neighbors Chinese or Japanese, no matter how often they tell them they are Laotian. Actually think to look at a map and figure out where Laos is? Not when there are bills to pay and the American dream to work for -- so many people think that whatever is beyond their own community is something that is happening "out there," but just not as important as what they have in front of them.

I would guess the more progressive, aware Americans tend to be in the more diverse, liberal-leaning university towns, or cities where lots of immigrants have settled, and places where globalization is not such a foreign concept.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 02-03-2011 at 12:25 AM.