View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
For instance, I know that this relationship with SW is term-limited, at least our sexual relationship. I believe we will remain friends even after the sexual aspects is over. I don't know how long or even why that part of our relationship will end but I know that it will. Perhaps one of us will move, or he may want to try monogamy with his primary girlfriend, or some other scenario I haven't thought of yet. So how to handle the 'term limited' relationship? Anyone else been in a similar situation?
If you think about it, all relationships are term-limited, in a way. I mean there are always parameters within which the relationship functions, or by which it is essentially limited.

However, I think what you're asking is how to handle an ongoing sexual relationship that you pretty much know is not heading toward becoming a long-term, serious, committed partnership. Basically it's a friendship with sex, which is what I have with Shorty -- and it puzzles me alot of the time. I mean, I feel that, since we know ahead of time what the ground rules are, it should be fairly simple to know what to do and how to act. But what I keep coming up against is, since it is still new and we are still getting to know each other, I find myself constantly angling to make sure that my words or actions are not misunderstood. I keep thinking that if I express that I want to be with him, he will think I'm getting too attached. Next time I see him, I need to talk to him about that to clarify things a bit.

So, until it gets really familiar and you two know each other very well, I think it can be confusing what to do. But really, it's like any other friendship -- it needs communication and sensitivity to make sure everyone's on the same page. And since you don't have the added stress of hoping and wishing for it to "get serious," you can enjoy all the fun stuff without all the angst.

I hope that makes sense.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post against hierarchy in polyamory: http://solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-i...short-version/