View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
I don't think it's evolving much, at all. It refers to part of the spectrum of nonmonogamy wherein folks have multiple romantic relationships at the same time with the consent of all involved. The word differentiates that part of the nonmonogamous spectrum from others--eg., swinging, open relationships.
While I'm with you on swinging being different from poly, I thought (and my search of the forum's official list of definitions confirmed) that there's a definite overlap between open relationships and polyamory.

I don't mean this in the sense that some people have an open relationship "and also happen to have" a polyamorous relationship, but that the polyamorous aspect of the relationship is, itself, open...

As opposed to a polyfidelous relationship, which is by definition not open, and as opposed to a polyamorous couple that also happens to be in the swinging lifestyle, even though the swinging is not itself polyamory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Open Relationship n : a relationship where partners are allowed to have romantic relationships and/or sex with others outside the relationship

Polyamory n 1: the state or practice of having more than one open romantic relationship at a time (2008). In Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2: romantically loving more than one person at a time 3: responsible non-monogamy based on honest open communication and conscious choices

"Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them."