View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Nycindie,

That very well could be because you don't have children. I'm NOT saying this with disrespect at all, I hope you sense that.
It's just that....
family can be whatever you want it to be, until you bring a child into it.
Because when child is brought into it-now it's a responsibility.

By my nature I'm an "open-door" person. I would let anyone in and see how it goes.
But, children get abused when exposed to situations that they aren't capable of protecting themselves in, it's a parents job to ensure that they aren't exposed to those dangers.

One horrifying example are the following statistics:

95% of victims (of sexual abuse) know their perpetrators
30% by relatives
60% by acquaintances, family friends, babysitters, neighbors
50% of sexual assaults occur in the child's home

The greatest risk comes from friends and family, not strangers. 93 percent of victims know their abusers: 34 percent are abused by family members; 59 percent are abused by someone trusted by the family.

Child abuse fatalities are widely recognized as being under-counted; it is estimated that between 60-85% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. Younger children are at a much higher risk for being killed, as are African Americans. Girls and boys, however, are killed at similar rates. Caregivers, and specifically mothers, are more likely to be the perpetrators of a child abuse fatality, than anyone else, including strangers, relatives, and non-relative caregivers. Family situations which place children at risk include moving, unemployment, having non-family members living in the household.

Children who experience child abuse & neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime.

DON'T MISTAKE what I'm saying please-

I'm not saying that we should wander around paranoid.

But-if I don't know someone very well-I'm increasing the risk of my children being harmed.

it would be SO SO much easier if it were simply me, cause I would only be addressing the risk to me.
But when I chose to keep my children-I accepted the responsibility of considering the risk to them in who I bring around.

You know?