View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
That is rather odd, I hope you don't have to pay for that session.

One thing I like to do when trying to find a provider of any kind in my network, is to first look at the ones near me and Google a few of them. There are sites where docs and other shrinks get reviewed by patients. I read as much as I can about them, before calling. Psychology Today's website has an extensive listing of therapists with blurbs about how they work and what they focus on, and sometimes they are also in my insurance plan. When I call, I do a mini-interview - if not with the doc, then with the staff. For a therapist, for example, I might say, "I've never been in therapy before, what is your approach?" If they can't take the time to answer a few simple questions, I don't schedule with them. If I get some sense of warmth or welcome, and my questions answered to my satisfaction, I make an appointment.

If you see an MSW on your list of providers, they also make good therapists - doesn't have to be a doctor (although you need one if you require prescriptions). However, an MSW can recommend a doc who you would see solely for med management, if after therapy, you guys decide you need to see a doc for meds.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips.
As for paying for the session. My co pay is $20. Despite being on my approved physician list and making a copy of my insurance card, he kept insisting that they would not likely cover the session. He wanted $225 immediately. I told him what my co pay was but that I had $40 on me. He took it all, wrote in pen on a scrap paper what the remainder was and gave me a self addressed envelope. I spoke to my insurance rep as soon as I left and was told he was giving me the run around. I left him a message stating he was suppose to submit it to my carrier so it would count towards my deductible and they would send me an EOB for any remainder I was responsible for. I explained that he took twice the co pay rate and that unless he followed the proper filing, he would see no more out of me.

I've heard nothing from him since. Its been almost two weeks since the appointment but perhaps he has been busy with family matters over the holidays.