View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Location: :P Cautiously looking around this new world that seems to fit...
Default My two cents

I feel for you...

I have my three already, and would love to one day be a foster parent (all my kids friends tend to refer to me as their second mum at one point it was a running joke that I was the neighbourhood's mum), I would also have more bioligical children although it would likely cripple me.

For myself I would risk more than just crippling tbh... I have the sorry history of 4 terminations (1 a midterm) and 3 pregnancies to term. Along with significant abuse, damage to my spinal column and sciatica. Problems I faced during my pregnancy along with chronic fatigue, worsening of the sciatica, joints loosening and stretching to the point of sheer pain, low blood pressure leading to fainting, morning sickness throughout one of those pregnancies, and then haemorraging with a footleg breech. The footleg breech nearly killed me... quite literally. I did recover to have a successful term pregnancy following that (delivered naturally).

Not saying to scare you... just making clear unexpected complications are a huge factor that need to be taken into account in a situation like yours.

Having said that... while pregnancy can be a wonderful thing (I did experience one beautiful pregnancy out of the three ) it can also be extremely hard on the body, especially given the concerns you have mentioned. There are also many other complications that can be added to your medical concerns as a side effect of the pregnancy...

Have you seriously discussed the possibillity of a successful pregnancy with your doctor?

If your doctor is positive about the idea, and you have the absolute best support around you (you WILL need it) then by all means seriously consider it, there is nothing (to me) that compares to the feeling of having a little life growing inside you (instances of feeling like a parasite's host aside ) and there is NOTHING that compares to the moment of birth.

If your doctor is not keen on you taking the risk I would listen, and consider a surrogate (if biological children are really important to you and Karma) or adoption... it is possible to adopt a newborn (though I believe the waiting list is quite long and there can be severe disappointments if the birth mother changes her mind). I would also suggest you consider fostering... it can be heartbreaking when they return to their parents, but you will have made a positive change to a child's life, and shared your love with those who really need it.

Personally... I think I would opt for fostering, while in the queue to adopt...

Engaged to my sweetheart, WaterWolf

my blog (non-poly) Pearls & Pixiedust