View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Speaking of accents, yes, many Americans (including me) naturally find other accents from other countries / cultures very sexy, and England and Ireland are at the top of my list. I always said I'd move to Ireland just to pick up their accent. The US is so big that too many of us sound the same. We either sound normal/flat, country, New York, Chicago, or Minnesotan/Canadian ("don't ya know there fella"). Sorry if I offended anyone out there! I'm just playing around.

In the 90s, I was a HUGE fan of Absolutely Fabulous (Ab Fab!), despite not understanding Patsy all the time I also think the Hispanic accent is sexy where I live.

Have you ever heard a true Chicago accent? They terribly exaggerate it on TV/movies. We are like the New York accent, but less pronounced. I learned I had a Chicago accent when I traveled around the country after high school.

People I had met would instantly recognize where I was from... Chicago.

Then I'd say, "Whatcha ya talkin' about?!"
Texas has quite a distinguishable accent too. But yes, in general, it is hard to pinpoint a location. Whereas over in England, there's a new accent in every town. It's a 15 minute drive into Wakefield and I can hear a difference between there accent and mine. Manchester is one of the next cities over and there a difference in accent there that anyone should be able to hear.

I have heard a true Chicago accent. I know quite a few people in Illinois as a whole actually. There and Arizona seem to be where most Americans I talk to are from.

I'd be instantly seen as "northern" if i went down south. But I other than the north/south divide, nobody seems to care exactly where you're from here. But I have quite a strong Leeds accent. Only I don't speak all the slang, so my words are slightly easier to understand. =P
[Insert witty comment here]
Feel free to add me up on facebook. - Just click here.
Do send a message in your request saying who you are and that you're from this forum. It will help me filter out any spam requests.