View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
"Make a fuss about the English" how? Are you referring to how our media acts like everything the royal family does is "news"?

I really don't understand that either. maybe I'm some kind of freak...

About the difference between college and university: In the US, "college" has historically referred to smaller institutions that focus their degree programs in one or two areas, while "university" has historically referred to larger institutions that encompass "colleges" within their milieu. For example, Massachusetts College of Art specializes in Studio Art, Fine Art, Art History and Education, etc. Harvard University has degree programs in all of those things, but it also has almost every other field of study imaginable, as well as graduate and professional schools, research, and of course Continuing Ed. Although recently, there has been a campaign to have ALL institutions that offer 4-year degrees referred to as "Universities" because "college" has come to signify the 2-year "Associate's" degree. Maybe it IS because of the international culture of education.
I have no idea what the midea is like over there. I just often get Americans saying "oh wow you're all English and stuff, that soooo cute! Speak all English for me!" as if my accent is some sort of circus act. =P

That college and university differences slightly confused me, but I think I understand what you mean. =P College here is just like a bridge between high school and university though. High school you study pretty much every subject, college you choose a few subjects you're interested in, or a blanket subject [like music] and learn everything within that subject. Then in university, you begin to pick specific studies. I would have gone with performance and composing most likely. The higher the degree, the more specific it is too. Doing a doctorate, I believe you have to write a huge dissertation on something nobody has studied before. So you have to be extremely specific at that point.

Sounds difficult, but I've got a few years until I think about going to university again. Going back to college to do something I know I can do well in. But first, a job to pay for all my equipment is needed.
=]