View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Somegeezer's Avatar
Somegeezer Somegeezer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 806

Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
19 is awfully young to have finished college. At what age do your contemporaries TYPICALLY "start" and "finish" college and high school? And how many years does it take to get a "college degree"? Here in the US, people can "start college" at any age, but the common-denominator is usually that they must complete a high school diploma OR equivalency test, known as a "GED". So, the typical high-school student would enter college at age 17 or 18, and a two-year college degree is called an "Associate's Degree" and a four-year college degree is called a "Bachelor's" or a "Baccalaureate". Then we go on to "graduate" school, which are the Master's, Ph. D.'s, Doctorate's, MD's, JD's, and so on.

Also, I thought that in the UK, "High school" is called "secondary" school, and "college" is called "A-levels". Have Brits started adopting American terminology, or are you just using those terms for our benefit?

I'm not sure how many English/ UK residents are on this forum, but there are a lot of Canadians and a few Australians too.
College here, starts at 16, as soon as you finish high school. You can go into "sixth form" which is a high school environment with college qualifications, or you can go into a dedicated college. I went into a college specifically for music [Leeds College of Music] which also does university degrees.

Typically, you are in college for 2 years, but I know many people who couldn't get directly onto their main courses and had to do a 1 year "introductory course". I was lucky not to have to do that.

There is no such thing as a "college degree". Typically you do your A levels, which are a type of course and not another name for college. I did a BTEC, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels in one course.

What you're describing as college is closer to our university. There you earn degrees. I wanted to get in to do a Foundation degree, which is a 2 year course. Then, if it were good enough, I could have done a 3rd year to "top it up" to a full degree. [Bachelor of -insert subject-]... After that, you can do Masters and Doctorates and other such qualifications.

High school and secondary school are the exact same thing. Secondary school is used a lot less commonly.

There are indeed a few Canadians and Australians too. Strangely, they don't seem to make a fuss about the English. The average American seems to get excited over it though. I find it strange.
[Insert witty comment here]
Feel free to add me up on facebook. - Just click here.
Do send a message in your request saying who you are and that you're from this forum. It will help me filter out any spam requests.
Reply With Quote