View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,217

19 is awfully young to have finished college. At what age do your contemporaries TYPICALLY "start" and "finish" college and high school? And how many years does it take to get a "college degree"? Here in the US, people can "start college" at any age, but the common-denominator is usually that they must complete a high school diploma OR equivalency test, known as a "GED". So, the typical high-school student would enter college at age 17 or 18, and a two-year college degree is called an "Associate's Degree" and a four-year college degree is called a "Bachelor's" or a "Baccalaureate". Then we go on to "graduate" school, which are the Master's, Ph. D.'s, Doctorate's, MD's, JD's, and so on.

Also, I thought that in the UK, "High school" is called "secondary" school, and "college" is called "A-levels". Have Brits started adopting American terminology, or are you just using those terms for our benefit?

I'm not sure how many English/ UK residents are on this forum, but there are a lot of Canadians and a few Australians too.
Reply With Quote