View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 AM

I am an anarchist and as such have different political ideas, especially ones that conflict with the idea of the government educating children.

Specific issues would be the teaching of "American History" with a focus on the establishment of government. People who believe in the valid existence of the state don't realize this subtle twist, but lesson plans are often taught from a state-centric perspective. History covers wars but never the individual, human impact wars have.

I'm anti-war, period. While American History teaches how the Americans fought the revolutionary war to cast of the chains of English tyranny, the truth is that it was the American powerful kicking off the British powerful. Their wealth was established (and retained) by the very land-grants given to them by the British et cetera.

Basically, it's a matter of perspective. Government schools (for so many reasons, from lack of perspective to legislature mandated standardized testing) have no ability to teach the values of personal freedom and responsibility that I would instill in my children and that I think are so VERY vital.

So that doesn't appeal to non-anarchists, but I've got issues with the very nature of the American education system as well. It's based on the Prussian model which was developed for the purpose of creating soldiers and factory workers. Drones, as I see them.

They seperate children by age groups, not intellectual capacity. In lower grades, this is even worse since children get instruction with the same class in ALL subjects by the same teacher. At least in middle schools, they're rotating teachers and classmates to diversify the pool of knowledge and perspectives.

I beleive the purpose of education isn't to give kids skills, it's to show them how to be adults. Gaining skills comes with that, but there's more to it. Social interactions, for instance. Development of a self-enforcing morality. Fostering non-educational interests. I think tossing a bunch of ignorant (in it's true sense of "lacking information") children together under the supervision of ONE person is contrary to this process. Children learn to be adults by interacting with adults, not children. I can't help but think that children in this kind of setting are treated like cattle, with the teachers as the herders, rather than developing, diverse, individual human beings. Even when teachers have the best intentions, they're limited to their own perspectives and value sets. It MUST come down to that since the kids aren't given enough infomation to form their own perspectives inside that model.