Thread: I'm not!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM

When I was in my 20s, which were quite confusing and scary sometimes, tho fun, I used to think age 32 would be great. And it was. I was pregnant with my 2nd child, my ex and I bought our first small house, and it had a wood burning stove and a stream in the back yard.

At age 40 we got a much bigger house in a better neighborhood closer to Boston. Not fancy, but great to have more room for the 3 kids and all our pets. And for our homeschooling. That was euphoric for a while.

Now in my mid 50s that hetero mono (somewhat illusionary) dream is over, but I don't mourn. I love my apartment, new gf, new friends and having more freedom for my own hobbies, interests, travel, volunteer work, and sex~ um, social life. My kids are tall and beautiful and smart young adults and take care of me as I take care of them.

Our culture sells us a falsehood when it glorifies young adults' lives. Things get so much better as we age, as long as we keep our health, energy and dreams for more alive.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37