View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella123456 View Post
I think the country you were born in, or live in, or the values of that culture are a huge influence. Especially for women...It is sadly the case, that your country of origin has a huge influence on the choices you can make. Or the relationships you can define within your life..
I think a woman living in america has a huge number of choices available, and a much higher level of control over her life...as opposed to say, a woman living in Indonesia..

Cultures do change over time, and individuals do have the power to change "culture". It's certainly not universal though...there's lots of places in the world where it is much, much, harder to change cultural values and biases...particularly for females, who continue to suffer within many cultures.
Not to mention the fact that acting outside cultural values can be pretty dangerous in some cultures....particularly for women. I don't feel we can talk about changing culture in general terms...as there are thousands of cultures around the world..each with their own pitfalls and strengths..
Amen to all of this... I think I am very fortunate to even have a choice. I think this everyday actually. Even to have this discussion and be able to be on this forum in comparison to other women in the world. I find it so important to never forget that.

I don't think that other women in other cultures would necessarily want what I have created in my life, but I do think that a lot of women would find it a blessing to have the ability and freedom to make ANY choice for themselves and that is what I am talking about here.