View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameKat View Post
Actually GS I have to speak up on this one - the high school my daughters go to, and the course my 2nd is planning to enrol in does teach critical thinking the entire course is designed to make sure the kids know how to think for themselves - to not spout out the answers - to really question and think for themselves... it also has a component on social awareness - via volunteering in the community...

As soon as this became available I heaved a sigh of relief - because if the program wasn't available I would thoroughly agree with you - the program is the International Baccalaureate - and it is taught worldwide (it took our school 15 years to reach the standard required to become a Baccalaureate school - definitely worth the effort )

You can read more about it here http://www.ibo.org/

Interesting info Kat. Where are you located ? States ?

Interestingly enough, when I was working within the public system, I was there one year when we were going through the accreditation process. When I attempted to get inserted in our mission statement such a simple statement as " and to foster critical thinking skills in all our students" I was shot down quite soundly by the 'powers that be'. Although there was some theoretical agreement with the philosophy, it was plainly stated that no such statement was allowed as it was unmeasurable !
I even questioned that although I understood where that came from and what it meant. But one thing I know for certain...............if you aren't committed enough about something to put it in ink, it's rare that anything will ever progress. Failing to 'ink' it, it just becomes another escape mechanism.

Looking up the site you referred to for future use

GS