View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al421 View Post
.... I work in TV, on the documentary side. ....

I am developing a project about the world of polyamory as told through the eyes of an expert/matchmaker that specializes in Polyamorous relationships, and of course, are polyamorous themselves.

I am specifically looking for a central figure for the series, a real world matchmaker, who understands the challenges and the triumphs of helping unions grow larger, as well as stronger. Someone who helps polyamorous unions find their perfect partners.
al421,

As one with trememdous respect for non-fiction and documetary film / television, and as a poly person, I think this project concept should be reconsidered. So little doc work on polyamory has been done that the film project you describe would (in my opinion) contribute to a distorted public perception of "the world of polyamory". Why? Because the overwhelming majority of poly people simply do not meet by way of matchmakers or "central figures". Instead, like monogamous people, most poly folk meet and grow their relationships within a centerless web of relations, or community.

Please, please, do make a film or tv doc on polyamory. It would be a public service. But please let the subject matter teach you how to frame the story, rather than coming in heavy-handed and framing it before hand. Treat this framing with humility and sensitivity and your work will undoubtably shimmer with tenderness and truth.

Last edited by River; 11-26-2010 at 06:12 PM.