View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 11:27 PM

I certainly wouldn't expect anybody with whom I've just become acquainted and with whom I have no involvement to meet my wife. Heck, I'm not even certain I'd want to romantically date the person at that point!

It's only after I've decided I'm interested in a serious romance that I want my wife to meet a potential partner. I have to find out if there's more to interest me than just the thing that caused the initial spark, then I have to spend a bit of time looking for red flags, then I can figure out if I want things to be more than a friendship. That takes a bit.

I'd suggest emailing/texting my wife prior to that, just so the other person knows my wife is OK with me meeting for dinner or coffee or some other dating behavior. I wouldn't expect a meeting with my wife until things got a bit more serious. If at that point the potential partner hadn't contacted my wife and refused a meeting, I'd be disappointed that it couldn't work out and move on with my life.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.