View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Yep, true Ari.
But same issue in general - at least as I last understood it. The incoming 'ring' comes to your computer - so still tethered/dependent.
Unless................
I know there are also 'Skype' IP phones and last I looked the prices weren't astronomical but still beyond maybe what a lot of people are willing to cough up.
There was for a time a cost effective skype phone for 90$. I wish I could remember the manufacturer. Connected on 802.11 a/b/g so it is pretty universal.

Quote:
The whole VOIP thing is still evolving and is likely where we'll all end up before long. Good bye to landlines - which I have a lot of mixed feeling about. If you look back, the good old phone system has probably been the most trusted & reliable piece of technology invented since the wheel

GS
Agreed, people don't realize how old and how stable phone systems are. I can still install an old qnix from the 80's and have it running for a small office AND stable within a few minutes. Voip is not that simple or even in the same league for call quality. Sometimes progression happens before what we are progressing too is perfected.