View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
My weird thing is that I can only get creativity going with a pen and paper, somehow the computer just doesn't work well!
I absolutely 'get' this, I think that using pen and paper perhaps feels like a more organic, honest extension of oneself. I was privileged to be accepted into a post-graduate writing course many years ago. Given the facts that all writings had to be submitted in type-print format and that deadlines were tight, I had to force myself to use the direct keyboard method. Many of my submissions got negative criticism and demands to rewrite and improve. I then started copying and re-working my keyboarded writings in physical pen-and-paper, and my works' flaws in rhythm, language and perspective became immediately apparent to me. No redrafts were ever requested after that.

I know I have very many quirks. I am often reminded of this, but more often I instantly forget.
The one quirk I remember right now (only because it was mentioned today) is my hand-'thingy'. I constantly use lotions and balms on my hands. I have an extensive variety of hand creams lining my desk and my bedside table. It seems that whenever I feel a bit pressured I moisturise my hands, but within minutes I feel frustrated by the 'coating' on my hands and wash it off, only to re-apply some lotion-potion to my hands because even the gentlest hand soap makes my hands feel dry and taut.