View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkafan View Post
Glad you are feeling more positive Ragabash. It always amazes me coming to an American dominated forum like this how many people are having therapy/counselling of some kind. Over here in England we don't have that so much.
Instead we have a soap opera on TV called Eastenders. The storylines are so depressive and all the characters so ****ing miserable that viewers feel cheered up about their own lives straight away.
If that doesn't work there is always alcohol.
I'm not going to comment on the Americans, being Canadian myself, but for me therapy is something that I should have had a long time ago. I've been dealing with depression for 25 years, and I'm only 33. When I was 8 years old a friend and classmate of mine, an aboriginal boy who had been bounced from foster home to foster home committed suicide, and our class was told by the teacher he did it "because he had no friends". Then that was it. No grief councellor was brought in, the school didn't call our parents, and the only mention of it after that was when the teacher told us she'd been to the funeral over the lunch break... the class wasn't even allowed to say goodbye. I had to learn to cope with suicide at 8 after essentially being told I was to blame... so yes, I have problems with depression and I need help. I've also thought of tracking down that teacher and either mailing her a long letter telling her what a monster she was for that and/or egging her house. That may come with time.