View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinccenzo View Post
Its like having a relationship where one partner is an astronaut and and they become poly because the astronaut wants to have zero gravity sex and a relationship with another astronaut and their primary partner "chooses" remains monogamous because they are not an astronaut and therefore cannot have zero gravity sex.
But that's still a choice that the earthbound partner makes, to open the relationship in that particular way. That partner still has the option to say, "No, I'd prefer you didn't have zero-gravity sex, because I can never have that. Let's do something we can both enjoy." Personally, I think it would be a bit silly to say that (if my partner had that kind of opportunity, I'd be cheering her on! Wooo! Space sex!! Even if I never got to go to space myself!) but it's still an option.

How about "indecent proposals," where some celebrity or billionaire offers to sleep with the wife of a mono couple, let's say. Would it be less than a full choice for the couple to decide to accept the proposal, since the husband has no opportunity of his own?

I think these things are choices that the partners can discuss together and agree on. I don't think that lack of opportunity for one partner invalidates consent.

Quote:
These women decide their boundaries based on what their religion affords them - not necessarily what they would desire to choose.
So they're not allowed to base their choices or preferences on religion? Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of sympathy with that position but religion is super important to a lot of people, and plays an enormous role in individuals' choices in all aspects of life, not just in this one.

What would your position be on people who marry monogamously because that is the only option their religion affords them, even if it's not necessarily what they would desire to choose otherwise? I suspect that probably describes a good 20-30% of the western world.

As long as there's consent, and no abuse, I really don't think we can analyze the legitimacy of relationships based on how someone came to the decision to consent. That's entirely up to the individual and no one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
So polygamy and polyamory are different, since there can be one without the other. But I agree that they overlap.
Agreed. I thought you were arguing that this particular family, who apparently do love each other, could not be considered polyamory.