View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
...RE: STDs - HPV can be spread easily even when wearing a condom - it affects the entire genital region and spreads through skin-to-skin contact. Condoms only cover the penis, not the surrounding area. HPV has even been known to spread through kissing and handshakes. It can also be vaccinated for now (some strains), and we actually HAD HPV almost 10 years ago, but have shown zero signs of it still being in our bodies for the past 5 years, so, yeah, we know HPV sucks... but it's a risk you take even if you DO wear a condom. She assures me that they had a talk about STDs, that he had a test done less than 2 months ago, that he's free and clear, and hasn't been with anyone since the test. Well, other than her....
While it is true that HPV can be spread even with condom use, recent research indicates that condoms are more effective at preventing the spread than previously indicated. Also, the vaccination ONLY works against two forms that cause cervical cancer--the two most common--and only works on women who have not already been exposed. In addition, the vaccination has not been tested for and is not recommended for women over 30. Lastly, the forms spread through kissing and handshakes are not the same strains which cause genital warts and cervical cancer.

I'm certainly glad that he had a test and came up clean, but boy I hope she's not just taking his word for it.