View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I also understand why people like the term pansexual, but sometimes the conversation makes it sound like bisexual people are never attracted to transgender people or genderless people, when many are and just prefer to use the more common word.

I've been noticing the word genderless being used here. This is not a term I have heard used in the trans community. I think the preferred term is genderqueer, or androgynous, depending to whom you speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
Thank you for saying what I have been too frustrated to put into words myself.

There are only two genders, male and female. I believe that people can fall along a whole spectrum when it comes to combining the two genders, but there is no such thing as a "third" gender, so the prefix "bi", meaning "two" works just fine.

Navel-gazing semantic psychobabble. Intellectual masturbation.

Actually, Neon, I respect that's your opinion, but as a genderqueer person myself, I object to it. Agree to disagree. Some traditional cultures that are accepting of transppl identify up to 30 genders. This may not be important to you as a woman firmly on your side of the spectrum, but it is important to many in the trans community, not "babble," which is a dismissive term.

For example, what would you call a person born with ambiguous genitalia? Do they have to choose sides to make you comfortable? Certainly doctors in Western culture choose a side for them at birth, assigning them one kind or another of sex organs through surgery. The doctors (our culture) are not comfortable leaving them be.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37