View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I've asked before for what specific steps should be taken and no one ever says anything. I've talked about this with Ceoli privately and she replied that she is not sure that there is anything that can be done by the moderation staff, that "it's not a moderation issue, it's a culture issue".
Sure. I mean, I imagine that really heavy-handed moderation would change the culture a lot, but I don't have any reason to believe it would be for the better, and at that point we're sort of talking about some entirely different hypothetical forum instead of this one.

That said, I don't think it's a "dead horse". Having it pointed out that some people are not well-served can be useful in and of itself, because it can serve as a reminder to check ourselves when it comes to how we treat people who aren't fitting in well. Not to harp on Ilove2, but note that Ceoli is first described as a valuable contributor, but her feedback on the culture of the forum is then described as pathological because her experience of it is different than the majority's.

I think that the general impression here about that is, "Well, if someone can't stand being pathologised, get out of the kitchen." I think that's problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I am pleased to see JKelly finally joining this discussion.
The conversation has sort of moved on, hasn't it? I'm not sure if it makes sense to derail the tangent, which I think is more interesting and important than my specific complaint about your comment on the HMA thread. Or did you mean something else by that?