View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I'm not sure why people stay here if they don't like it. I have looked at other forums and come back to this one more often than not. I don't have a desire to change other forums though. I just go where I feel comfortable and engaged and challenged in the way that fits for me.
It would be easy to read this as "people who feel unwelcome should just leave."

Quote:
I'm not sure what is to be gained by saying we are privileged.... it's a public forum, if it were private, that would be more a privelge to point out I would think....
Privilege is a dynamic that exists when people who feel unwelcome are made to feel that their concerns are unimportant. As evidenced in this thread.

Quote:
In any case, I like ygirl's presence here. I will continue to support her and protect her as long as I want to. We all do that with people in our lives. We all support those that we want to. I don't make any apologise for that and won't be changing that any time soon. If ygirl asks to to leave her alone and not support her, then I will do that out respect for her. It's between her and I really.
And that's not the issue. Feel free to defend and make welcome who you want. But just understand that this place is not welcoming for many. Apparently the response to that is, "so what?"

I prefer to be a bit more inclusive, that's all.