Thread: DIY Hair?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
if you have dark hair naturally, those bleach products you buy at the store will really damage it. Mine felt like plastic. If I were going that route again, I'd get the bleaching done professionally by a stylist I trusted and do the rest myself. Big difference in price, but it would be worth it to me because the bleached hair doesn't recover; you just have to wait for it to grow out.
Yeah, I've had some pretty fried hair...

The neat thing I always found with Manic Panic was that it made wicked conditioner. The bleach would strip it, then I would refrain from using the bleach-enclosed conditioning creme, so that the hair would be like a big colour-sponge. And with most of the colours, after a couple applications, my hair came out feeling more-or-less normal.

I don't think the professional bleaches themselves are any less harmful, it's all peroxide-based. I think they just have better quality conditioners and oils to repair the damage with afterwards.

I've also found the same damaging effects with any permanent DIY hair colour: red, black, blonde... it didn't matter. The black surprised me, since it shouldn't have been taking anything out of my hair, but the dye has to break down the hair somewhat in order to stick?

"Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them."