View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I appreciate your efforts. I'll check out the site.

just one thing about your reference: the guy seems to be saying that polyamory is just a weak off-shoot of polygamy.
Common usage and connotations of a word are much more important to me. Polygamy is an immediate turn off. It's illegal for one thing (i.e. being married to more than one person) so it starts off from a negative place. For me it brings up images of women in headscarves and long skirts all producing off-spring and taking day about with some controlling religious zealot. Or I suppose also the traveling salesman juggling a few wives in a few different cities who have no idea the other exists.

It seems we are creating a new paradigm?

There are actually three posters in that old USENET quote. The last poster was trying to understand, but was too bogged down with the old terminology to understand. He was trying to understand polyamory through his understanding of polygamy- and his online Websters.

And that's the way it is when we're faced with new words.. we try to make sense of them. And after we've heard them, seen demonstrations, and learned more, the essential meaning changes.

There are slightly older posts...This one just amused me.

I'm not sure its a new paradigm, I suspect it has been around, but not labelled. Every couple has friends, sometimes the boundaries blur. Is that a true poly relationship? Not really, but it's the genesis of one.