View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
".... I am afflicted by the "if I can't see it, it doesn't affect me" syndrome. ..."
I have the opposite affliction, myself. If it's an affliction. I profoundly understand that we're all interrelated and that no individual human life is more valuable than another. Even non-human beings get my sympathy when they're unfairly treated. And I also know that the entire present global economy, and dominant culture, depends on exploitative mistreatment of others -- whether we see it and know it or not. And I also understand that present generations are drawing down all of our "natural capital," robbing the future of ecosystem and biospheric integrity and climate stability.... Worse!: I know that these problems can be solved if we will let ourselves FEEL their calling to us for a more informed and appropriate response. Not just us as individuals, but us as a community. For we are the community of life -- not just isolated individuals. It's worse, because so many don't yet feel this call. And most of those can't understand that my intention is not to provoke guilt or shame. My intention is to provoke love and compassion.

River's Blog