View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly View Post
But I don't think that we should just blow right past YGirl's observation. Our society really does engage in (sometimes horrific) slut-shaming, and, even in the very unlikely case that every influential voice in this forum is enthusiastically pro-sex, the way that poly- people defend the emotional intimacy of their relationships can start to sound like more of that shaming and dismissal. I think it would be valuable for everybody to simply be conscientious about how they phrase the distinction between polyamory and casual sex, assuming that they don't want to perpetuate that.
If you take my sig file as being anti-sex in any fashion, then you infer something far removed from what it says. I am in no fashion anti-sex, nor anti-casual sex; indeed, I enjoy casual sex (my wife and I have an open relationship, in addition to being poly). My sig file statement is concerned with nothing more than accuracy in description--that poly is different from open and swinging--and nothing more.

Anybody who infers anything different is bringing his or her own bias into the reading.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.