View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Default You've said it even better than I could have

"we all have within ourselves the power to make changes which will make us happy. Some of those changes may need to be external, and undoubtably some will need to be internal. We can't always change our surroundings. Sometimes all we can truly change is how we feel about them."

If someone had said that to me twenty years ago I think my life would have been very different. Or maybe we all have to reach a level of awareness and maturity for wisdom to reach us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Hm, a good point. It's a subtle difference, but I think I understand what you're saying.

"Happiness comes from within" makes it sound like we're all "secretly happy on the inside" just waiting for that happiness to magically be released. That's not at all what I believe.

"the ability to create your own happiness comes from within" makes a lot more sense. It's saying that whether or not we're happy right now, we all have within ourselves the power to make changes which will make us happy. Some of those changes may need to be external, and undoubtably some will need to be internal. We can't always change our surroundings. Sometimes all we can truly change is how we feel about them.

I often use the term "find happiness", which implies to me that it's something either lost or missing... not that it's sitting around "within" just waiting to be discovered.