View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post

Those are some really great ideas!

That's also exactly what I mean by "making yourself happy" ... i.e. only trying to control things that are in your power to control.
Yeah. I wish I could say that I decided on the course because of some great meditation combined with vast research topped off with consulting with great sages.

It was because I was(and am) pretty sick and tired of flinging myself against the dating wall.

I did some hard thinking about it and I realized something. The idea of climbing, in order, a 6288 ft mountain known for erratic weather(Mount Washinton), a 13,775 ft mountain that requires special training(Grand Teton) and a 14,692 ft mountain that people have died climbing(Matterhorn) over the span of 3-5 years is(in my opinion) a reasonable goal that I am quite confident I can achieve, even though I have asthma. However, the idea of being able to find and date an OSO, THAT seems about as realistic as inventing a flying car in my closet over Memorial Day weekend. This tells me that finding an OSO should not be a priority(it just isn't my time). If the universe sees fit to prove me wrong, I am open to that and it would be wonderful. But in the mean time it won't be a priority.

I think you'll find that once you start taking care of yourself, the universe will take care of the rest of the details.
Maybe. I am making a conscious effort to try not to think about if the universe will take care of anything. The reason for that is that I don't want to fall into the trap of, "but I did all this cool stuff, where is my 9 OSOs?" Maybe the universe will shower me with love. Maybe it won't. I can't control that. However, I can advance my spiritual attainments, I can sharpen my mind to a razor's edge, and I can prepare physically so that the only thing that keeps me from the top of those three rocks is Thor's angry hand.

You asked for suggestions to increase your mental abilities. If it's within your financial and scheduling means, I would suggest taking a University or College course. Any course, anything that interests you. Calculus would obviously be a good challenge, but if you're not interested in calculus then it will be very tedious, difficult, and hard to find motivation.

Reading is also a good way to stimulate your brain, especially non-fiction.

I'm a big fan of logic puzzles. You can get those magazines full of them, and do one or two a day. Crosswords and Sudoku also challenge your mind, but they're not for everyone.
Now those are some good ideas. I can't quite afford a course just yet(I'm using my money to attend a really specialized Tibetian Buddhist teaching. It will be AWESOME!). Good point about the tediousness about learning calculus. The main reason I'd want to be able to learn calculus is so that I can do the progression so that I can fully understand quantum physics(which can only really be expressed mathematically, most of the books on it are like virgins trying to describe sex). After thinking about it publishing in the Mythopoetic Society journal might be a good middle ground. I have a paper rattling around about William Blake in my head somewhere, I'm sure. I just have to research it.