View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestheart View Post
At times i have felt the need to "label" in an attempt to define myself and others around me so i may better understand.... but as i get older, I find said labels are restrictive and well... not true nor necessarily applicable or required...
I never find a label restrictive in any fashion. Labels describe things. I label storage boxes so I know what's in them. I label hanging file folders so I can find the documents I need when I need them. I label things that I do--such as poly--to describe what it is I do. The label in no fashion restricts what I do.

In terms of relationships, I do poly and open. I can say I do nonmonogamy, which is true, though that label doesn't provide enough detail to be of much use. I use the labels that indicate in a more useful fashion what it is I do.

So, I find labels useful. They are descriptive terms.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.