Thread: Where? How?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
People actually join the SCA for the purpose of hooking up for dating and/or sex and not because they are interested in medieval stuff? I had a feeling that was true sometimes... I only say that because I thought of joining the SCA at one point but decided against it because I'm into "medieval stuff" but not so much the "social stuff".
I could have phrased that better.

People join the SCA for all kinds of reasons. Because they like to dress up in funny clothes and hang out with their friends. Because they are drawn to other people with "alternative" worldviews. Because they are deeply and passionately interested in researching medieval crafts, philosophy, or arts. Because they love making their own costumes "from sheep to dress". And because they have heard from various people (including me, I guess :P ) that there are many folk in the SCA who practice various kinds of alternative relationship styles.

That's not often (I would guess) the first reason someone joins the SCA, however, so I should have said:

"If you are interested in these kind of non-mainstream hobby groups you may also find they attract other people interested in exploring non-monogamous relationship styles".