View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 PM

I'm curious about how doors impede communication. One opens the door and begins talking with the person inside, if they also want to talk. Is this mean to preclude any private conversations between 2 or more people? How would structures encourage privacy without doors? Would walls be moveable or reconfigurable? I'm trying to envision such a place and having difficulty.

It is true that doors are not required for privacy. Other cultures have strategies that generate a privacy 'bubble' through behaviors and agreed upon norms. For example, it's my understanding that in Japan, if you don't acknowledge someone you know on the street or other public place that is a signal you wish privacy. The other person will then act like they never saw you, you don't exist in that space as far as they are concerned. In a nation where many interior walls are rice paper and there are a LOT of people, it makes sense social conventions developed to create privacy. But in the West, that has generally not happened. We do tend to rely more on walls and doors to create privacy.

Do you have a sense, if such a place were to be built, what type of folks would like that situation? Even the hard core intentional community types I know still have at least their own room to retreat to.

Again, personally this just sounds like a miserable situation for a Western introvert. But perhaps I am just not imagining it enough.